Electric nail guns are absolutely vital to any sort of building. You would be amazed at the number of things you can use a nail gun for and the tasks that this tool can knock off of your to-do list.
But be warned: if you are in the market for a new electric nail gun, you are opening yourself up to an incredible number of options. This is no longer a niche market. With a variety of bells and whistles and extras aplenty, we have narrowed down the list and are sharing with you below our top 5 picks for the best electric nail gun.
How to Choose A Nail Gun
The first part of choosing an electric nail gun is determining what your primary use of this tool will be. And this is where the options begin. You will first need to choose between two types of nail guns:
- Coil-style. This type of nail gun uses long strings of nails that are joined with wires. Additionally, coil-style nail guns fit into smaller spaces, so some like them for that purpose.
- Strip-style. This type of nail gun uses nails that are line up on a strip that goes into the nail gun, held together by plastic or wire. As a result, the strip-style nail gun has better balance than its partner, the coil-style.
The second choice you will have will be the power source for your nail gun. We are focusing on electric nail guns, but we wanted to share with you that there are other options out there:
- Pneumatic. This type of nail gun gets its power by using air from a compressor. It is very powerful, but unfortunately, because of its need to be connected to the power source, it limits the mobility of this tool.
- Battery-powered. This is the preferred type of nail gun, as it allows for maximum mobility. This nail gun is also quicker to start up than the pneumatic but doesn’t quite have the same power behind it.
- Fuel-driven. This nail gun uses combustion. A gas cartridge drains gas into a combustion chamber in the nail gun that, when combined with the electric charge created by a battery in the nail gun, pushes the nail out. Because this type of nail gun doesn’t need to be plugged in, it too has good mobility.
Safety Tips You Must Follow
Working with an electric nail gun can be quite dangerous. Thus, it is imperative that you follow all the safety precautions carefully to avoid any situations. Below are some of the top safety tips for using an electric nail gun:
- Inspect before use and repair any damaged parts
- Don’t try and make any changes or additions to your electric nail gun
- ALWAYS wear safety glasses
- Do not use the tool around others, especially children
- Never point the nail gun at anyone else
- Use clamps to secure your work
- Be mindful of where you are using your nail gun and be sure it isn’t anywhere where a spark could ignite a fire
The best electric nail gun reviews
Now that you know some basics about electric nail guns, let’s get into the other important part: the best electric nail gun out there.
1. BOSTITCH N62FNK-2
The technical name of this electric nail gun certainly matches its abilities. The Bosch N62FNK-2 is nice and compact — up to 15% more narrow than its competitors. People love the blank fire lock-out feature that keeps your work from getting damaged when the nail magazine fires a blank. In terms of safety, the Bosch N62FNK-2 has a lock-out switch that is disabled when the tool is not in use.
- Great case
- Solid and sturdy
- Long battery life
- Top heavy
- Struggled to sink nail into wood
- Lacks power
VERDICT: This product has a long battery life and is sturdy, but does not seem to deliver as well as people would have hoped.
2. SENCO 5N0001N FUSION FINISH NAILER
This product is praised as being easy to use and durable. It is also noted that this electric nail gun has a nose-mounted LED light and a thumbwheel depth-of-drive. Its adjustable belt hook and included battery and charger make this tool ready to use right out of the box.
- Long battery life
- Quick to charge
- Drives nails accurately
- Quite loud
- Specific nails for this gun are hard to get
- Doesn’t work well with just a few nails in the gun
- Jams easily
VERDICT: This gun seems to have a lot more positive reviews than negative ones, but you have to take into consideration the bad ones. Overall, this seems like a high quality electric nail gun that keeps its battery life and is more much convenient to use than other electric nail guns.
3. RYOBI P325
This electric nail gun is among the best. It easy-to-use adjustment dial helps regulate air pressure to ensure that your results are the best. Additionally, the convenience that their airstrike technology brings is something people love. The tool was also built with a depth-of-drive adjustment that help you protect your work surface.
- Belt clip that works for right-handed or left-handed people
- Doesn’t jam
- LED-lighted tip
- Portable because of its battery
- Some nails don’t sink in properly
- Struggled to drive nails consistently
VERDICT: This nail gun boasted many more positive reviews than negative ones and users are very pleased with the reliability of this nail gun. Even when set on rapid fire, the nail gun delivers every time.
4. DEWALT DC616K
This nail gun, from trusted brand, DeWalt is among the best. The way that the engine of this tool was designed makes it able to work very quickly along with the user. In the rare case of a jam, the nosepiece is easy to access to get rid of jams. Additionally, the electric nail gun has integrated LED lights to ensure long life.
- Nails are cheap and easy to find
- Long battery life
- Good for tough-to-reach places
- Very heavy
- Quit working after about 500 nails
VERDICT: This product seems like a good investment. Though heavier than many other electric nail guns, this one is a standard, solid one. Nothing fancy, which means nothing major to go wrong.
5. VONHAUS 2 IN 1
With this electric nail gun, you get a 2-for-1 deal — it is both a brad nailer and a stapler kit. It has two firing modes, as well as a two-stage safety trigger. Its bottom-loading magazine and depth control adjustment are also features worth noting. The design of this took into consideration comfort and it was ergonomically built to use with ease.
- Long battery life
- Good firing record
- High powered
- Only comes with one battery
- Struggles with firing at times
VERDICT: This seems like a reliable electric nail gun, overall. It seems a lot of thought was put into the design of it, which people appreciate. But do note that the one battery is something that was across-the-board a downside to this tool.
From the information gathered via above, it appears that the DeWalt DC616K is the best electric nail gun. Though the cons of most of the nail guns were not many, people seemed to have the fewest complaints about the DeWalt. It is a trusted brand that many people recognize and use for many other tools, thus they have faith that DeWalt will also provide them with the best electric nail gun.
The DeWalt DC616K is reliable and uses nails that are easy to find. It also has a long battery life and is good to use for projects that other nail guns may not be able to reach.